Crockpot chicken and rice soup is so easy, there is no excuse not to make it.
On Halloween I have a Crockpot/slow cooker meal because the dinner hour is crazy. Between the ringing of the door bell and kids high on sugar, I need something easy and filled with protein. Add a crusty bread and dinner is done.
- 1.5 pounds of chicken – any combination will do. Today I used two extra large chicken breasts with bone.
- 1 cup of rice. I have used brown and white rice. Brown is my favorite because it holds up well in the Crockpot.
- 1 tablespoon of poultry seasoning. Make your own here.
- 2 cups of mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots and onion.)
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 1/4 cup of flour. White or whole wheat.
- 2 cups of milk.
Brown chicken and add to Crockpot. Add rice, mirepoix, poultry seasoning and enough water to cover everything. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Chicken and rice should be throughly cooked. If not continue to cook for an additional hour.
Remove chicken and rest before shredding. While chicken is resting, melt butter in another pan and then add flour. Whisk flour until it bubbles for a minute. Slowly add milk one cup at a time and whisk until thick and creamy. Mmmm.
Shred chicken and add everything to the Crockpot. Add extra water to adjust to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
Made to much or ate way to many candy bars? This freezes perfectly. Just make sure it is cool before adding to a container.
What is your dinner success for Halloween night?
Sharon, The Mayor